18.6.10

My experience at Ahmedabad- "Atithi devo bhavah"

In our Indian custom, we believe "Atithi devo bhavah" which means- "Guest is God". This is how I was treated on my visit to Ahmedabad by another harmonica lover Shri Keyur Shah. He took leave from his work and even managed to change his family members' routine just to play a perfect host in extending a warm welcome to me in Ahmedabad. We had a great session playing and discussing the harmonica. I still can't forget the hospitality experienced by me as his guest.

Keyur bhai, a harmonica lover from Ahmedabad is a nice and outspoken gentleman who calls spade a spade. He works for a stock broking firm. He was first motivated to play the harmonica by one of his friends when he was studying in 10th standard. He liked the tiny instrument for its sweet sound and ease in carrying it anywhere. He started playing some songs on the "Hero" tremolo harmonica. After playing for around 2 yrs, he was preoccupied with other activities and quit playing the harmonica. Recently, 1 and a 1/2 yrs ago, he restarted again from scratch. Today, he plays the harmonica pretty well. He has a Hohner 270 Deluxe and a Hohner 280. He loves the sound of his Hohner 270 DX. After such a long gap, he has picked up his harmonica skills pretty fast. He has also been seriously studying music theory which according to him is a must for every music lover. He also plays the guitar and keyboard with ease. When asked about his philosophy of life, he replies “Live life Kingsize". "However, I don't smoke :-))) " he adds with a laughter.

I'm attaching a song played by him in the video. I hope you'll enjoy listening to his rendition "Pardesia yeh sach hai piya" from the movie "Mr Natwarlal". The music was directed by Rajesh Roshan and the songs were sung by Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar. Also attached are a few pics I had taken in Ahmedabad.

1 comment:

Keyur Shah said...

Dear Ramana, My family has conveyed special thanks for acknowledging our little hospitality. Please accept our open invitation to come along with family. Regards, Keyur & family.